Certified Bone Densitometry Technologist (CBDT®) is a professional certification accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in the field of bone densitometry for technologists who perform bone densitometry scans. The CBDT® credential signifies that an individual has passed an examination that has been designed to meet established certification industry standards and best practices. The CBDT® Exam is offered at computer-based PSI locations worldwide and paper and pencil at designated ISCD pre-selected sites. The ISCD CBDT® examination consists of multiple-choice questions based on 5 Content Outline domains.
The CBDT® examination will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions, 125 scored and 25 pretest questions. Of the 125 scored questions, 25 will be case-based multiple choice questions. Candidates will have three and a half hours to complete the examination.
Any technologist who performs human bone densitometry scans and meets the eligibility requirements as specified in the CBDT® Handbook & Application
- Download the CBDT® Handbook & Application
- Fill out the CBDT® Exam application portion
- Submit application to the ISCD via fax or mail with appropriate fee
Candidates will be notified in writing with a pass/fail score within four weeks following the date of the examination. No results will be provided by telephone, fax or email. Scores are released ONLY to the individual candidate.
If you fail the exam, you can apply to retake the test by completing the form below.
Locations & Testing Windows
- The CBDT® examination is offered at PSI computer-based testing sites located throughout the world AND paper and pencil exam throughout the year at designated ISCD pre-selected sites.
To find a PSI computer-based testing site in your area click HERE (select healthcare, ISCD and exam type).
To find a Paper and Pencil course location click HERE.
- The CBDT® Exam is offered on weekdays and weekends through PSI.
Last modified: December 10, 2019